Sunday, April 17, 2011

Rooster, Downtown St. Louis-- Amazing Gluten Free Crepes

As many know, I attended college in France and fell in love with their food, wine, and language.  This would include Crepes!!  When I first started the gluten free diet, I was sad I would no longer be able to devour crepes anymore. :( Then I heard Rooster served Gluten Free Crepes!! Of course, I dragged Rob downtown the first possible moment I could.

We have frequented Rooster several times before my gluten diet started and each time has always been amazing.  I do have to warn you though, if you are going on a weekend for breakfast, brunch or lunch, be prepared to wait.  We showed up Sunday morning around 11am (the morning after Mardi Gras none the less) and I believe we waited about an hour to be seated.  It is tiny place and as Rob does not crowded places we debated somewhere else.  However, Rob being the awesome husband he is, knew I was dying to try the gluten free crepes, so we waited.

Each time I have been to Roosters they always have a nice touch of fresh flowers at the tables. And it just so happened to match my yummy Mimosa!



Normally I order the hot chocolate, as it is amazingly tasty, but while waiting I saw someone drinking a Mimosa a the bar and could not resist the temptation!  They always remind me of the good times my Mom and I shared on our cruise to the Bahamas.  I was also lucky in this case since Rob decided to order a hot chocolate.  MMM!! The best of both worlds.


I ordered the brie gluten free crepe with roasted spiced apple and a side of chutney. 






I was pretty skeptical (imagine that..) of how the gluten free crepe would taste as I have eaten some of the best creperies in the world at my favorite 1513 in Clermont-Ferrand, France.  I was delightfully surprised with the melange of the flavors. I actually think this may be my new favorite Rooster crepe, however I need to try out a few more just in case. :)

Rob on the other hand ordered a roasted sirloin crepe.



He was not as impressed as I, but I am not sure if this is because this is the choice I encouraged him to select rather than what he would have picked on his own.  A lot of times when we go out to eat, he ends up liking what I order more than what he chose.  This time, not so much.  Another great thing about Roosters is they have Srichacha sauce! (the big red bottle in the background of Rob's picture)  I first heard about Srichacha sauce on the Dr. Oz show.  It is a very tasty, yet super spicy hot sauce.  It is Dr. Oz recommended as it is so spicy, just a tiny bit goes a long ways, it helps speed up your metabolism, and it helps add flavor, without a bunch of calories.  At home we use it a lot on scrambled eggs.

We were both wanting to try one of the dessert crepes, as we have yet to try one.  Each time, this time not excluded, we are so full from our meal we never have room.  The crepes taste so good, we just cannot stop eating till we clean our plates.


We made a vow that the next time we eat a Roosters, we are strictly going for the dessert crepes!  We are both looking forward our next visit.  Thanks to Roosters for a great gluten free dining experience!!

4 comments:

  1. The Creperie in Clayton also has amazing Gluten free crepes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jill! That is good to know, as Clayton is closer to us. Are you on the gluten free diet too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, but I have been thinking about it. My sister, dad, and niece all have celiac. If you need any info or suggestions, just email me. I know a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely email you! It is not too bad, the hardest part is eating at other people's houses. Have you been tested yet?

    ReplyDelete