Thursday, July 28, 2011

What would you do if a chipmunk was drowning in your pool?

The other day I was talking to my husband on the phone while looking out our back door and saw something swimming in our pool.  I told my husband to hold on while I take a picture of this adorable chipmunk in our pool.  Little did I know, the poor guy just wasn't swimming, he was trying to get out!



I guess when I walked out to take a picture I must of scared him, because a few moments later he began sinking.  I freaked out, put my phone down and grabbed our pool net.  I scooped him out and let him lay on top of the net for a few moments.

This was before the summer heat had greatly intensified and the little chipmunk was just laying there shivering on the pool net.  I covered him up with a hand towel.  I went inside and googled for advice and found that you can feed them some bread or nuts to help them regain their energy, so I took him out some bread.  He ate a few bites.



I would periodically check on the chipmunk and about an hour later, he was sitting on top of the towel, when he saw me he took off running.  I still see him every morning eating the bird seed the birds throw on the ground.  My cat looks at the back door and really wants to play with him.



As I have told this story to many people, they tell me chipmunks can cause some damage around your place and I should have let the chipmunk drown.  What?  I could never do this.  What would you do if there were a chipmunk drowning in your pool?

2 comments:

  1. Exactly what you did... I'm glad to hear you saved the little guy. If we measured life's worth by how much damage is caused, half of humanity would disappear in a split second... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a VERY good point Derek!

    ReplyDelete