Saturday, March 5, 2011

Bard's Gluten Free Beer Review

Last Saturday was my friend's birthday and we were taking a bus out to Chandler Hill Winery and the bus allows you to bring coolers with beer.  Well, as a gluten free person, regular beer is kind of out of the question.  So since I am a Googleaholic, I started my search for a gluten free beer.  I came across the website for Bard's Gluten Free Beer!  It is made out of sorghum malt beer, so no wheat.  Craig and Kevin are the founders of the beer and after being diagnosed with Celiac disease they decided to make their own beer.



We looked up places to buy the gluten free beer on their website and found most of the grocery stores in our area carries Bard's.   We stopped by Dierberg's and there it was on the shelf.  Unfortunately, they did not have any of the beers in the refrigerators, only warm ones.  We got to the bus and immediately put the beers in the coolers.  After awhile we pulled one out and Rob is so strong when trying to open two of the beers the bottle tops actually broke and the beers had to be thrown away due to the glass being everywhere. :(   I tried my delicate touch to the third one and was able to open it with success.  The beer was not quite as cold as I would normally drink it, however it still wasn't bad.  By the time I started the second beer it was cold, I had Rob taste it and he agreed, It tastes like beer!  I always use Rob as my determining factor, as he does not eat gluten free.  Oh and it has a higher alcohol content than regular beer as well.  I will be trying Bard's beer again and hope next time there will be not any issues with the bottles.  I really am amazed Craig and Kevin were able to make such a great tasting Gluten Free Beer!  Thanks Bard's!  Thanks Craig and Kevin!

I have not yet found any gluten free beers in cans yet though.  Of course, one of the first things I said when I started the gluten free diet was "What will I drink on float trips??"  I am still wondering this question and hope by the summer time I find an answer...  If you here of one, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment